Frequently Asked Questions for Business
Q: What is a MOCA Card?
A: MOCA Cards are a family of virtual and physical debit, prepaid, and gift cards powered by Visa® and issued under the MOCA program. You can use any MOCA Card anywhere Visa is accepted. MOCA Cards are “smart” cards and let you do things that most debit cards won’t.
Q: How is my MOCA Card different?
A: MOCA Cards provide more security, more control, and MOCA Premier accounts offer unlimited rewards. Here are a few of the things you can do with a MOCA Card that makes it different:
- Monitor your transactions in real-time including a card on/off feature.
- Self-issue reloadable MOCA Purchase Cards to employees or departments to keep everyone on budget as well as monitor transactions on the card and control how the card is used.
- Self-issue MOCA Prestige Payroll Debit Cards to your employees instead of paychecks.
- Instantly send payments to anyone, anywhere, anytime in real-time, including scheduled and recurring payments.
- Attach pictures of receipts, warranties, or other documents to any transaction.
- Set advanced controls such as spending limits by amount, time of day, day of week, category of merchant, and restrict use based on distance from a zip code.
- Lock a card down to a single merchant for online purchases.
- Earn unlimited rewards with a MOCA Premier account!
Q: How can I get a MOCA Premier Business Prepaid Card?
A: Easy, but you need a checking account at a participating Community Bank or Credit Union. If you have one, you can upgrade to a Free MOCA Premier account and be carrying a MOCA Premier Business Prepaid Card in no time. Give your local bank or credit union a call or visit their website to see if they offer MOCA Premier accounts!
Q: Can I get a MOCA Card if I don’t have a MOCA Premier account?
A: Generally, the only way to get a MOCA Card without a MOCA Premier account is if a business gives you a MOCA Card or a business sends you money through MocaMoney. You can’t go to a participating Bank or Credit Union and buy a MOCA Cash Debit Card, for instance,
Q: Are there any fees or other charges associated with my MOCA Card?
A: None, except for a $5 one-time fee for additional plastic cards.
Q: Is the MOCA Card a credit card?
A: No. MOCA Cards are not credit cards. The money you spend on a MOCA Card must either be in your MOCA Premier account or have been added to your MOCA Purchase or MOCA Payroll Debit Card.
Q: Where can I get the MOCA Mobile app?
A: You can download MOCA Mobile from the App Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android).
Q: How much does the MOCA Mobile app cost?
A: Nothing, nada, zero. It’s free.
Q: Is my MOCA Premier account FDIC or NCUA insured?
A: Of course! All MOCA Premier accounts carry $250,000 insurance protection from the FDIC (banks) or NCUA (credit unions). For more info, check out fdic.gov for cards issued by banks or ncua.gov for cards issued by credit unions.
Q: What is the purpose of my address in my MOCA User Profile?
A: The address in your MOCA User Profile is used (1) to verify/authorize transactions, and (2) as the address of record for any Non-Prime or Non-Premier Card notices, such as a MOCA Sentinel Debit or MOCA Cash Card. Any notices sent regarding a Non-Prime or Non-Premier Card will be sent to the address in your MOCA User Profile. Any notices sent regarding your Prime or Premier accounts, including the cards, will be sent to the address currently on file with your financial institution.
Q: Who is MOCA?
A: MOCA is an Austin, Texas-based FinTech company that is certified by VISA and distributes its MOCA Smart Card Technology through community financial institutions.
Sending and Receiving Money
Q: How do I send money to someone?
A: Just use MocaMoney on MOCA Mobile or our MOCA desktop app. All you need is a MOCA Premier account and the recipient’s email address. Access the “Send Money” feature, choose or add your recipient, and tell MOCA how much money to send. It’s that easy. You can also schedule payments and make recurring payments through MocaMoney.
Q: Can I send money to someone who doesn’t have a social security number?
A: Yes, but they can only take the money on a non-reloadable virtual or physical MOCA Gift Card, which can be used in stores or online at any merchant that accepts Visa. Gift cards have a limit of $1,000 and may not be used to obtain cash.
Q: How do I claim money that someone sends me?
A: It depends on whether you currently have a MOCA Premier Business Prepaid or MOCA Cash Debit Card or not. If you have a MOCA Premier account, any money sent to you through MocaMoney will be automatically deposited into your MOCA Premier account. If you don’t have a MOCA Premier account, but you have a reloadable MOCA Cash Debit Card, the money will automatically be added to your MOCA Cash Debit Card balance. If you are totally new to MOCA, you will receive an email with instructions on how to claim your money and you can claim it on a virtual or physical MOCA Gift Card or a virtual or physical reloadable MOCA Cash Debit Card.
Types of MOCA Cards for Business
Q: What kind of MOCA cards are available to businesses?*
A: For businesses, MOCA provides 7 kinds of cards: a Premier Business Prepaid Card, a Purchase Card, a Cash Debit Card, a Payroll Debit Card, and an Appreciation (Gift) Card. All MOCA Cards can be either virtual or physical. In addition, our MOCA Premier Business Prepaid, Purchase, Cash Debit, and Payroll Debit Cards have an encrypted EMV chip and are contactless so you can tap and pay.
- A MOCA Premier Business Prepaid Card is MOCA’s primary card for businesses and takes the place of a business’s debit card. MOCA Premier Business Prepaid Cards are linked to your business checking account and automatically top off funds as needed to fund transactions. Think of it as a special kind of debit card. MOCA Premier Business Prepaid Cards can also be used to get cash from an ATM or cash back at a merchant.
- A MOCA Purchase Card is for employees, such as salespeople, or departments to be used in lieu of expense reimbursements. It is a reloadable prepaid card that allows the business to monitor transactions in real-time and even control when, where, and how the card is used. Load your employee’s or a department’s monthly expense budget on the card and stop worrying about end-of-month expense surprises. Photos of receipts and other documents can also be attached to transactions, which post in your MOCA Statement, and a business can block or delete a Purchase Card and/or recall the funds on a Purchase Card at any time.
- A MOCA Cash Debit Card takes the place of checks or cash. It is a reloadable prepaid card, but unlike the Purchase Card, the business cannot monitor transactions or control when, where, or how the card is used. The recipient can use their MOCA Cash Debit Card in stores, online, in a digital wallet or to get cash at an ATM or cash back at a merchant. The cardholder can also reload the card if desired and you can transfer additional money to the card on-demand (think recurring payments).
- A MOCA Prestige Payroll Debit Card is made for paying payroll funds to contractors and employees--eliminating the need for checks. These cards can be used anywhere Visa is accepted in stores and online and can be used to get cash at an ATM or cash back at a merchant.
- A MOCA Appreciation Card is MOCA’s business version of a gift card. Like all MOCA Cards, Appreciation Cards can be virtual or plastic. You may want to use Appreciation Cards for special occasions or achievements. Recipients can use these cards anywhere Visa is accepted but can’t use them to get cash from an ATM or cash back at a merchant. Like all gift cards, an Appreciation Card has a maximum value of $1000.
- A MOCA Apex Card is similar to a Premier Business Prepaid Card, but it is linked to your business line of credit instead of your business checking account. It is an access device for your business line of credit, and it automatically tops off funds as needed to fund transactions. MOCA Apex Cards can also be used in stores, online, in a digital wallet, or to get cash from an ATM or cash back at a merchant terminal.
- A MOCA Access Card is also linked to your business line of credit. It is a card you give to departments or employees that allows the business to set daily, weekly, or monthly spending limits – all drawn from your business line of credit. The business can also monitor transactions in real-time and even control when, where, and how the card is used. Photos of receipts and other documents can be attached to transactions, which post in your MOCA Statement, and a business can block or cancel a MOCA Access Card at any time.
Q: What kind of MOCA Cards can our business self-issue?
A: Businesses can self-issue Premier Business Prepaid Cards, Purchase Cards, Prestige Payroll Debit Cards, Apex Cards, Access Cards, and Appreciation Cards. Remember that a MOCA Premier Business Prepaid Card is your business’s primary card so you likely want to limit who has one. You issue MOCA Purchase Cards and MOCA Access Cards to your employees and departments, and MOCA Prestige Payroll Debit Cards take the place of regular paychecks. MOCA Appreciation Cards are issued to anyone you would otherwise issue a gift card to. All MOCA Cards can be virtual or physical.
Q: What is a MOCA Purchase Card?
A: A MOCA Purchase Card is simply a reloadable prepaid card that you issue to your employees or departments for business purchases with the ability to monitor transactions on the card in real-time as well as implement card controls, such as transaction limits and daily card curfews. Perfect for keeping everyone on budget. You can also block, cancel, or recall the funds on a MOCA Purchase Card at any time.
Q: How do I give someone a MOCA Cash Debit Card?
A: You can’t actually “give” someone a MOCA Cash Debit Card. You just send them money. When you send someone money through MocaMoney, the recipient of the money can choose to receive it on a virtual or physical MOCA Appreciation Card or a virtual or physical reloadable MOCA Cash Debit Card. It’s up to the recipient.
Q: How many cards will my business receive when I open a MOCA Premier account?
A: You will receive one physical EMV chip and contactless MOCA Premier Business Prepaid Card at no charge when you first set up your MOCA Premier account. You can order additional physical cards for $5 each. You can also self-issue as many virtual cards as you want for no charge.
Q: Can I get additional cards for other employees in my business?
A: Sure. You can issue virtual and plastic cards to anyone affiliated with your business, including contractors and vendors. Remember that a MOCA Premier Business Prepaid Card is your business’s primary card so you likely want to limit who has one.
Q: Can my employees use their MOCA Cards to get cash from an ATM or cash back at a merchant?
A: Yes. As long as you allow it.
Information about PINs
Q: Do I need a PIN to use a MOCA Card?
A: Only if you want to get cash at an ATM, and the ATM requires it. You don’t need a PIN to use MOCA Cards in stores (unless you want to get cash back at the terminal) or online. NOTE: PINless purchases generally earn more rewards. That's because if you use your PIN to make a purchase, you earn a flat 5 MOCA Coins, but if you make a PINless purchase, you earn 1 MOCA Coin for every $1 you spend. So it is in your best interest to avoid using a PIN whenever possible. Fortunately, you can easily avoid using a PIN on most transactions.
Q: Most merchants ask for a PIN. How do I avoid using one?
A: Always select the “No PIN” option if it is available. If not, just press “Enter” if a terminal asks for a PIN, or choose “Credit,” or do a signature transaction. Occasionally, it may be necessary to choose “Cancel” to bypass the PIN requirement, so try that as a last resort. Doing that will earn you unlimited rewards on your MOCA Premier Business Prepaid and Purchase Card transactions.
Q: How do I authorize or get a PIN for my MOCA Card?
A: Easy. Call the number on the activation sticker that came on your MOCA Card and follow the voice response instructions. If you don’t have your activation sticker, just call the number on the back of your MOCA Card and follow the voice response instructions.
Q: How do I earn rewards?
A: With a MOCA Premier account, every purchase you make in stores or online using your MOCA Premier Business Prepaid Card earns you rewards. Even better, if you are a business that has issued someone a MOCA Purchase Card, you can earn rewards on those purchases too! That can really add up.
NOTE: PINless purchases generally earn more rewards. That's because if you use your PIN to make a purchase, you earn a flat 5 MOCA Coins, but if you make a PINless purchase, you earn 1 MOCA Coin for every $1 you spend. So it is in your best interest to avoid using a PIN whenever possible. Fortunately, you can easily avoid using a PIN on most transactions.
You earn your rewards in MOCA Coins, and you can self-redeem your MOCA Coins for cash at any time and in any amount. Every time you redeem, your cash is deposited automatically into your MOCA Prime or Premier account. No hassles. No gimmicks. No waiting.
Q: How can I double my rewards each month?
Not only do you earn rewards on every Premier and Purchase Card purchase, but you can also double your rewards each month. Just do at least 10 overall MOCA Card transactions in your Premier account in a calendar month, and you will double your rewards!
So be sure to make PINless purchases whenever possible and to do at least 10 MOCA Card transactions in your Premier account each month to maximize your rewards. Of course, since we don’t put a cap on the rewards you can earn with your MOCA Premier account, it makes sense to use your MOCA Card every chance you get!
Q: How do I redeem rewards?
A: MOCA rewards are paid in MOCA “Coins” and you can self-redeem any MOCA Coins your business has earned for cash at any time and in any amount. Once you redeem your rewards, the cash will be automatically deposited into your MOCA Premier account.
Ways to use my MOCA Card
Q: Where can I use my MOCA Card?
A: It’s everywhere you want to be! Since MOCA Cards are powered by Visa, they can be used at any place worldwide that accepts Visa whether in stores or online.
Q: How do I use my MOCA Premier Business Prepaid Card to pay bills?
A: It’s simple. Just go to the biller’s website and enter your card information into the biller’s payment form like you would with any other card. You will likely earn rewards for that transaction too!
Q: Can MOCA Cards be used to make online purchases?
A: Absolutely. Use it the same way you would use any other debit or credit card.
Q: Can MOCA Cards be used with digital wallets?
A: Yes. Virtual or physical MOCA Premier Business Prepaid Cards, MOCA Purchase Cards, MOCA Cash Debit Cards, and MOCA Payroll Cards are compatible with all the popular digital wallets - Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, LG Pay, Garmin Pay, and Fitbit Pay.
Q: What security features does my MOCA Card have?
A: You mean other than an encrypted EMV chip and contactless capabilities on your plastic cards? Yes, MOCA Cards have additional security features if you choose to use them. You can monitor all your transactions in real-time, you can turn your card on and off on demand, and you can lock down a card to a single merchant for online purchases, among other things. Explore all your MOCA Card has to offer. We are sure you’ll be pleased.
Q: Do I need to add money to my MOCA Card?
A: You don’t need to add money to your MOCA Premier Business Prepaid Card, but you DO need to add money to MOCA Purchase and MOCA Payroll Debit Cards. Money can be added to any of those cards from your MOCA Premier account, another MOCA Card, or any of the over 55,000 Visa Readylink locations which you can find here: https://apps.usa.visa.com/slocators/get-a-card.jsp?filter=readylink.
Q: How do I add money to a MOCA Purchase Card?
A: It’s easy. Just go to the “Cards” screen and find the card you would like to add money to and click the three vertical dots to reveal additional options. Choose “Add Money,” then choose the amount of money you would like to add and the funding source on the next screen. Click “Add” and you’re done.
Q: Can an employee add money to a MOCA Purchase Card from an external source such as Visa Readylink?
A: If you want your employee to have the ability to add money to a MOCA Purchase Card from an external source, the employee’s social security number must be input on the create card screen when you are creating a MOCA Purchase Card.
Q: How do I set up recurring payments to a vendor?
A: You do it all through MocaMoney. When you pay a vendor the first time, just use the convenient calendar function in MocaMoney and tell us when you want the first payment sent and how often to send future payments. It’s that easy! Make sure your vendor claims the money on a reloadable MOCA Cash Debit Card. That way, each time you send them an additional payment, it will automatically be added to their MOCA Cash Debit Card balance to be used in stores, online, in a digital wallet, or to get cash at an ATM or cash back at a merchant.
Q: If I give a MOCA card to my employee, can I monitor its use?
A: Yes. MOCA Purchase Cards are reloadable prepaid cards that you can monitor. You can see transactions in real-time and you can set up card controls, such as when the card can be used and how much can be spent. You can also block, cancel, or recall the funds on a MOCA Purchase Card at any time.
Please be aware that whomever you give the card to will be told their transactions can be monitored.
Card Lost or Stolen/Get Help/Cancel Card
Q: What if I have a problem using my MOCA Card - what do I do?
A: Just ask us for help! You access help through the “Help” button on MOCA Mobile or the MOCA desktop app. You can also call the number on the back of your card and access MOCA’s Voice Response System, which will point you in the right direction.
Q: What if my MOCA Card is lost or stolen?
A: If you lose your MOCA Card you have several options. The first thing you should do is go In to MOCA Mobile or the MOCA desktop app, locate the card that was lost or stolen, and “block” or “delete” it. Then, you should also call the financial institution that issued you the card and report your card lost or stolen. You can then order a new card through your financial institution or you can order one through MOCA Mobile or the MOCA desktop app if you need a replacement. Finally, go In to MOCA Mobile or the MOCA desktop app and look at the transactions to see if any were unauthorized. If you see unauthorized transactions, dispute the transaction.
Q: How do I dispute a charge on my MOCA Card?
A: Log in to MOCA Mobile or the MOCA desktop app and go to “Cards.” Then find the card with the transaction you would like to dispute and click on “Transactions.” Find the transaction in question and click on “RAISE DISPUTE” and follow the instructions.
Q: How do I cancel my MOCA Card?
A: Breaking up is easy to do—although we would miss you! Simply select the card in question, click the 3 vertical dots to reveal additional options, and click “Delete.” You will now see your card on the “Cards” screen with a red stripe in the upper left that says “Closed.” Your card will remain in the “Cards” view for 15 days while we make sure no pending transactions need to clear, and then it will disappear.
Q: I deleted a MOCA Card but forgot to transfer the balance off the card. What do I do?
A: You don’t have to do anything. If you delete a card that has a balance on it, once all your transactions clear, any remaining balance will be automatically transferred to your MOCA Premier account.